DTM Event Munich 2011: Bruno Spengler wins the DTM premiere


Bruno Spengler (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Class) tock the honours on the second day of the show event at the Munich Olympic Stadium, prevailing over Audi’s Edoardo Mortara in the grand finale. The Canadian was joined by two other Mercedes-Benz drivers in the semi-final: Renger Van der Zande (stern AMG Mercedes C-Class) and Christian Vietoris (Junge Sterne AMG Mercedes C-Class). MERCEDES GP PETRONAS driver Nico Rosberg performed demo laps in his Formula One Silver Arrow as part of the support programme. Over the whole DTM weekend (Saturday and Sunday), 54.000 spectators came through the gates of the Munich Olympic Stadium.


Race Mode: On Sunday, the eight fastest drivers from Audi and Mercedes-Benz were pitted against each other in a series of knock-out rounds. The two ninth-placed from the previous day had been given a second chance to qualify in a ‘relegation’ play-off against the eighth-placed driver of the same marque. The pairings for the last sixteen runs were determined by the qualifying times on Saturday, with the best-placed Audi driver of the previous day racing against the Mercedes-Benz driver with the slowest time, and vice versa. Each encounter from the quarter-finals onwards involved a mandatory pit stop. The day was rounded off by a final in which the two best drivers competed over two five-lap stints.

Relegation: In a three-lap race, Susie Stoddart prevailed over Maro Engel (GQ AMG Mercedes C-Class) to qualify for the last sixteen. She completed the distance in 2:54.437 minutes and finished 1.015 seconds ahead of Engel.

Eighth finals: Bruno Spengler won his duel over three laps against Miguel Molina (Audi) in a time of 2:48.142 minutes; David Coulthard progressed to the next round, after prevailing over Filipe Albuquerque (Audi) by a margin of 1.361 seconds; Jamie Green went through to the quarter-finals with a victory over Oliver Jarvis (Audi); Christian Vietoris won by a margin of 1.857 seconds against Mike Rockenfeller (Audi); Renger van der Zande easily saw off the challenge of Timo Scheider (Audi); Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO AMG Mercedes C-Class) was knocked out by Mattias Ekström (Audi); Ralf Schumacher (Salzgitter AMG Mercedes C-Class) came off second best in his encounter with Martin Tomczyk (Audi); Susie Stoddart (TV Spielfilm AMG Mercedes C-Class) was eliminated in her race against Edoardo Mortara (Audi).

Quarter finals: Renger van der Zande overcame the challenge of Mattias Ekström (Audi) to secure a place in the semi-final. After a stint of four laps, including mandatory pit stop, he crossed the finish line in a total time of 3:52.647 minutes, a winning margin of 0.905 seconds. Christian Vietoris came in 1.662 seconds ahead of Martin Tomczyk (Audi). Bruno Spengler prevailed in a thrilling Mercedes-Benz duel with Jamie Green (AMG Mercedes C-Class). David Coulthard (Deutsche Post AMG Mercedes C-Class) went out at the Last 16 stage in his race against Edoardo Mortara (Audi).

Semi finals: After four laps of the Olympic Stadium circuit, including one mandatory pit stop, Bruno Spengler prevailed over fellow Mercedes-Benz driver Christian Vietoris (Junge Sterne AMG Mercedes C-Class) with a lead of 3.77 seconds to reach the final for the second day in succession. Renger van der Zande (stern AMG Mercedes C-Class) lost his bout against Edoardo Mortara (Audi).

Final: Bruno Spengler emerged victorious from the DTM premiere in Munich’s Olympic Stadium. The Canadian prevailed over Edoardo Mortara (Audi) in a five-lap stint including pit stop. The second stint was abandoned after Mortara crashed out.


Comments on Sunday:

Bruno Spengler (Mercedes-Benz Bank AMG C-Class):
“It’s a great feeling to have won this first DTM Show Event at the Olympic Stadium here in Munich. It was tremendous fun driving on this circuit and soaking up the atmosphere. The track is first rate and every race was incredibly close. Today’s result certainly made up for yesterday’s final against Edoardo Mortara. I was very pleased to see so many fans turn up in the stadium, and I hope they’ll be back to see us again soon for more DTM racing.”

Renger van der Zande (stern AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“DTM’s debut in Munich has been terrific. What a great atmosphere, and after Saturday, I’m over the moon to finish on the podium on Sunday. I drove on the limit, but unfortunately, I missed the finals by a whisker. I'm not too disappointed, though – I’m going home with two trophies in the bag. I hope that I can take the momentum gained this weekend into the second half of the season.”

Christian Vietoris (Junge Sterne AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“On Saturday, I held back a bit in order not to do any unnecessary damage to the car, but today I really put my foot down. I'm happy to finish on the podium at this first DTM event in Munich's Olympic stadium – it was a really great experience; driving in front of so many spectators and at such a fantastic venue was just tremendous.”

Jamie Green (AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“I’m happy with my performance, my C-Class ran very well. Too bad that I was knocked out by Bruno. On Saturday, he was a bit faster than me. Today, maybe I was a bid better. I'm not sure if being given a time penalty was the right decision.”

David Coulthard (Deutsche Post AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“It’s a pity to have gone out of this event with a crash. I hit the right inside of the wall with one of my wheels. The surface was still very greasy. I apologise to my mechanics, but that’s motor racing. In a race like this, it’s all about millimetres. I knew I was running behind, so I stepped on the gas. I hope the fans enjoyed the show event. The atmosphere was simply sensational.”

Ralf Schumacher (Salzgitter AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“I’ve had a lot of fun here at the show event in Munich, though unfortunately, I didn’t manage to get beyond the last sixteen on Sunday. It’s difficult when you’re driving on a track for the first time and you haven’t had time to get your setup right. The car was suffering from oversteer and I glanced against a wall. There really is no room for error on this circuit.”

Gary Paffett (THOMAS SABO AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“I would obviously have liked to get through to the next round. The race was pretty difficult because the track was very slippery. I’m managing to keep my disappointment within bounds, however, because at least there were no championship points at stake. I hope the fans in the Olympic Stadium have had just as much fun as I did.”

Susie Stoddart (TV Spielfilm AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“I’ve had fun all weekend. I came through the relegation play-off against Maro. I'm feeling quite positive, because the races so far in the Olympic Stadium have all been tight. It is really a great event. I've enjoyed the event very much and I think that the fans have too.”

Maro Engel (GQ AMG Mercedes C-Class):
“I’m sad to have been eliminated so early. The event in Munich was a lot of fun and I would have liked to put in some more laps here in my home town. But in any case, I’m pleased for the fans that they’re able to watch DTM so close at the Olympic Stadium.”

Nico Rosberg (MERCEDES GP PETRONAS Formula One driver):
“This whole DTM show event in Munich – and for me in particular the demonstration laps with my Formula One Silver Arrow – has been great fun. The event was even bigger than I had imagined. What a great idea! The DTM races were very exciting and it was amazing to see how close the drivers were getting to the barriers. Now I’m looking forward to the next motorsport highlight in Germany: driving a Silver Arrow at the Nürburgring is a very special experience.”

Norbert Haug, Vice-President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport:
“A quality event with quality spectators and a quality winner. Bruno Spengler claimed a well-deserved victory here today and can rightly style himself ‘First DTM Indoor Champion’, even though the title doesn’t officially exist. Well done, Bruno! I’d like to say a big ‘thank you’ to everyone who made this very special competition possible, to the Olympiapark operators who had the courage to stage this event and whose decision has been thoroughly vindicated, to the ITR and the DMSB, and of course to all our team members who have not only worked very hard preparing for the show this weekend but also have a lot of follow-up work to do after various close encounters with the barriers. We can now look forward to the next DTM race in three weeks’ time at the Nürburgring.”
















Source: Daimler AG

Copyright © 2011, Mercedes-Benz-Blog. All rights reserved.