Aftermarket DRL LEDs: The verdict


 
 
Story update

It is a long time since I am using LEDs in the place of the OEM DRL bulbs and also, the warning message has been resolved, but you already know about that (you can read all the related posts by clicking here).

However, a few days ago, I removed the resistors. The reason behind this is because I am not so sure for how long I will keep the LEDs on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, but  I have some concerns about the DiamondVision mainbeam bulbs. Under rain and fog, I feel that are no good due to the 5000K colour. In a couple of occasions, the light from the bulbs seemed so unsatisfactory and thus, I visited my friend and told him to remove the load resistors in order to put all the OEM bulbs back, but then... I couldn't resist and left them as they were cause I like the LEDs...

One other worrying thing that prevented me from putting the OEM bulbs back on is the fact that a few members of Insignia Club, who have the OEM bulbs since they had their cars delivered, have noticed slight deformations on the upper plastic parts (the ones that look like nickel) due to excessive heat! A couple of them managed to have the headlamps replaced under warranty and Opel in Greece is gathering photos in order to send the data back to Germany. This is not a problem with all Insignias, but I am very skeptical now to put the OEM DRL bulbs back on, since my wires have been cut and if there is a deformation, I don't believe that they will replace my headlamps under warranty.

Note that there are only two downsides using load resistors. The first thing is the fact that when you are using the parking lights, the the power required is higher, around 23-24 Watts instead of 5. Still, the battery should not drain even if you have them on for say 20 hours. The second one is the fact that you have to cut the wires.

If you want photos showing where to connect the load resistors, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Verdict

The LEDs supplied by Per-Accurate are really great and highly recommended, especially if you have replaced the halogen bulbs with an aftermarket Xenon kit. If though you don't intend to fit a Xenon kit, you will have a colour difference between the DRL LEDs and the mainbeam bulbs, which can be resolved by using DiamondVision bulbs, but remember that visibility under certain weather conditions may not be so good.

In terms of the waring message on the dash, there is a solution by fitting load resistors, but I believe that it is best to live with it, since the headlights appear to be sensitive and you if you ever need to replace them under warranty, having cut the wires will not help at all.