Hella's TC-400 TPMS: No good for Opel Insignia???






Since I wasn't able to order an Insgnia with my desired optional equipment, as delivery time was crucial for me, a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is a feature that I would really like have (as a factory option, it would have cost me €189!). 

Following a market research, I found Hella's TC-400 system as the most attractive one. It can handle up to 7 tyres (2x front, 4x rear + a spare tyre), it features a multi-colour display (with seven different background colours) monitoring the air pressure and temperature of the tyres. The display itself is small and neat.

The gross price is €299 for the system, including 4 valve sensors, plus €59.95 for the additional sensor (prices incl. 19% VAT).

I contacted the Hella importer in Greece and I managed to get the contact details of three dealers in Athens. Sadly, only one of them provided me with a price, which was €380 + €88 (TC-400 kit + additional sensor). I managed to get a discount, bringing down the total cost to €420, but still the price was too high compared to the prices on the net (Amazon, eBay etc.). 

I contacted again the Hella imported and the price seemed also too high to them. The person I spoke with, promised me that he would make some phone calls and come back to me, but he never did.

One thing that you have to be aware though is warranty. As I spent four days in the Netherlands, I contacted Hella over there and they provided me with contact details of dealers in Eindhoven, but warned me that warranty would not be valid in Greece.

The next step was to ensure that TC-400 is indeed compatible with the CAN-Bus of the car. Insignia is a complex car when it comes to electronics and thus, compatibility is always a great concern. The electrician working for the Opel dealer was not aware whether it is compatible or not and he informed me, that the worst case scenario will be the TPMS displaying wrong values due to interference with the CAN-Bus...

I decided to send an email to the After Sales Center / Technical Center of Hella in order to get a proper answer to my question. You can read the answer I got below and unfortunately, the appendix contains no information regarding the compatibility of the system with CAN-Bus.

Conclusions: I won't install a TPMS, as it is too expensive to buy it over here, buying it from abroad will mean lack of warranty and compatibility is not 100% certain. I am not sure how the CAN-Bus can affect the functionality of the TPMS, but I am not taking any chances, especially when I have to spend €420!

It seems that I will stick with the old school method, my Michelin tire pressure gauge...

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry expressing interest in our products.
This set is an universal stand alone system kit for a lot of cars.
The unit has an own panel and harness.

In the appendix you can find more information .